Fall has arrived and it is a great time to perform home maintenance tasks to prepare your home for the upcoming winter months! By taking a proactive and responsible approach as a homeowner, you can not only maintain your property’s value but also save money and ensure a safe and comfortable living environment.
Top Recommended Home Maintenance Tasks:
- Roof Inspection: It is critical to check your roof for missing or damaged shingles. This precaution can help prevent future leaks. If you notice any issues that need to be repaired or are not comfortable performing this inspection on your own, consider hiring a professional.
- HVAC Maintenance: HVAC systems should be inspected and serviced twice a year. In Florida, it is common to use your air conditioner and heating system year-round. For this reason, inspections and maintenance are often recommended every 6 months to ensure proper functioning.
- Gutter Cleaning: Clogged gutters can lead to water damage issues down the road. It is important to remove debris, leaves, and twigs to ensure proper drainage from this unit.
- Insulation Check: This process includes evaluating the quality, condition, and effectiveness of the insulation of a home. A homeowner should look for and identify any gaps or voids in the insulation where heat can escape. Areas of the home to assess include plumbing penetrations, windows, doors, and electrical outlets. You should also check for signs of damage to the attics, walls, and crawlspace.
- Windows and Door Screens: Consider replacing damaged screens or windows.
- Weather-stripping and Caulking: To prevent drafts and save energy during the winter months, homeowners should seal gaps in doors or windows.
- Exterior Paint and Siding: Address any issues related to your home’s exterior such as damaged siding and peeling paint. This could be a sign of a more serious problem and potentially create further damage.
- Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors: Ensure that your smoke alarm is operating effectively to secure the safety of you and your family. The winter months can come with a lot of potential cooking and other fire related hazards.
- Pest Control: Now is the time to contact a pest control company to seal any cracks or gaps in your home’s exterior. During these colder months, you may find pests seeking warmth and shelter in your home.
- Driveway Repairs: Fractures or holes in your driveway can become a safety concern. It is important to address these issues by filling any concrete cracks or holes before winter arrives.
- Emergency Kit: In case of a power outage or severe weather, it is valuable to have an emergency kit on hand.
- Garden Tools: You can extend the lifespan of your garden tools and equipment by taking the time to properly clean and store these items before winter arrives.
Why is Preparing My Home Important?
- Property Value: One of the leading reasons to keep your home up to date with inspections and maintenance is to sustain or potentially increase your home’s value. Properties that have been well cared for stand out to potential buyers.
- Comfort: Maintaining a consistent and comfortable temperature indoors is much easier in a home that has been well-prepared or serviced.
- Prevent Damage: Cold weather and extreme temperatures can cause damage to your home if the necessary steps to prepare are not taken. Water infiltration, freezing pipes, HVAC system strain, and roof issues are a few of the potential problems that can occur in homes during the winter months.
- Energy Efficient & Cost Savings: By putting in your due diligence to seal gaps and insulate your home properly, you can improve the energy efficiency of your home. Not only are you going to experience long-term cost savings, but potentially save yourself from expensive repairs in the future.
- Longevity of Home Systems: Critical components of your home should be maintained regularly to avoid any costly replacements or repairs. By servicing your home systems regularly, you can add to the longevity of their lifetime.
- Emergency Preparedness: It is important to prepare your home for the winter months in case of any power outages or extreme cold temperatures. Having supplies or a back up plan can save you and your family from a great deal of stress of discomfort.
- Peace of Mind: It is meaningful to go into the holiday season with peace of mind. Simply having confidence in your safety can make your holiday season much more enjoyable.
Preparing your home for the winter months ahead of time is a responsible approach to owning a home. It can help maintain your property’s value, ensure comfortable and safe living, and save money. Completing the maintenance tasks during this fall season can help reduce the risk of costly repairs down the road.
In the unfortunate event that your home experiences damage this winter, contact OneRestore. Our company works as a one-stop-shop, assisting our customers with all of their restoration needs. We offer 24/7 emergency contact and service. Contact us for a free inspection and evaluation!
Source: News feed