A homeowner never wants to find mold in their home. Mold comes in many different forms and colors including black, orange, white, and green. Among these, black is the most common type and can be very dangerous to individuals exposed to it. That is why is it extremely important to know how to treat mold in your home at the very first sign.
The key is to remove the mold before the fungus spreads and creates even bigger issues. Neglecting the removal and clean-up of mold can result in health and home complications. Your home’s infrastructure can become compromised with extended mold exposure.
Below are critical steps to take if you notice that your home has been infected with mold. This article will direct you on methods as well as the cleaning tools you should utilize to safely remove mold from your home.
Limit Exposure to Mold
Once you notice the presence of mold in your home, you should try and limit your exposure as much as possible. Mold and mold spores are dangerous to your health, so it is essential to prevent them from entering your body. You can do so by wearing a mask to avoid directly inhaling mold spores. Additionally, when handling the clean-up, it is advised to wear gloves that extend to your forearms. To prevent the spores from entering your eyes, you should wear goggles. This protects you from spores as well as from the harmful chemicals used during the clean-up process.
Prevent Mold Growth
To prevent further mold growth, a homeowner should take immediate action to eliminate moisture in the home and improve ventilation. Turning on the bathroom fan while showering can help prevent moisture build-up and mold growth. Exhaust kitchen fans are also important to utilize when doing the dishes. If your house is not equipped with bathroom, kitchen, and laundry exhaust fans, you should consider investing in these upgrades.
There are other ways to circulate the air, preventing moisture buildup and the possibility of mold. You can open doors and windows in cooler months. Ensure that rainwater is properly draining away from your house. Gutters should be cleaned periodically to provide appropriate drainage. Don’t forget to also wash your shower liner when cleaning the shower or tub. These plastics create a great place for mold to grow if left untreated. You can disinfect shower liners using a mold or mildew spray or simply throw them in the washing machine in a warm setting. Dehumidifiers can provide your home extra protection against excessive moisture and potential mold growth.
Remove Mold Immediately
It is important to act fast when you notice mold. As stated previously, you should protect yourself by applying the proper equipment when when you treat mold in your home. Simply a mixture of detergent and water can be used to clean mold from hard surfaces including tile and windowsills. Once you have finished scrubbing, it is imperative to dry the area. If the drywall of your home has become infected, you should use a rag to avoid damaging it. Diluted vinegar can be effective when cleaning wood surfaces if soap and water are not getting the job done. It is not necessary to dilute the vinegar when dealing with kitchen and bath tiles. These surfaces can also handle bleach solutions. An ammonia and water solution has also been shown to be successful for mold removal. However, ammonia should not be mixed with other cleaner forms as it can be very toxic.
Ceiling tile or other surfaces that are very porous might pose issues when contaminated with mold. If you are having trouble completely removing the mold from these areas, it is best to replace the damaged material. Additionally, some molds can be very difficult to clean completely. In these cases, you should contact a mold remediation specialist for assistance.
Clean-up after Clean-up
After you treat mold in your home, you should properly dispose of the materials used to clean it. Any rags used in the process of clean-up should be discarded in a sealed garbage bag. Clothes should be washed in hot water separate from your other belongings.
Unfortunately, some circumstances just create an environment for mold to grow. After a natural disaster, such as a flood, it is important to seek professional help to ensure that the water has been completely removed. A leak in a home’s plumbing system is another instance in which the assistance of a water restoration company may be necessary.
It is critical to inspect your home for mold growth. Most of the time, the average person can effectively eliminate mold from their home on their own. However, there are situations when the job is too big to handle with home remedies. In this case, you should reach out to a professional for help. If you notice the presence of mold in your home, contact OneRestore. Act fast to avoid harm to your health and your home! Our staff will appraise your situation and provide an estimate for your mold restoration.
The post How to Treat Mold in Your Home appeared first on OneRestore.
Source: New feed