Did you know that there are a variety of molds? Actually, there are thousands of different mold species out there! No homeowner or business owner is thrilled to see the presence of mold regardless of the type. They vary in their degree of harm, but many molds will affect the structure of your property and can be dangerous to your health as well. Because of this, it is critical to attend to any mold in your home as soon as possible.
To better protect you and your home, it is important to become familiar with the molds that pose the greatest threat! By being knowledgeable on the varying molds, you can reduce your exposure to the harmful ones. Mold affects everyone differently. Some individuals may be highly allergic, presenting a reaction, while others may feel nothing at all. The effects of mold on your health are revealed in a number of ways. The severity and toxicity of mold can help us divide mold into three categories.
Individuals who suffer from asthma and particular allergies will be affected by this kind of mold. They will experience an allergic reaction when exposed to it. This hypersensitive reaction occurs as a result of the body’s respiratory system. It has a natural inflammatory response, in which mast cells are activated at an abnormally excessive rate. People without allergies are generally unaffected by allergenic molds in smaller amounts. However, about 20-30 percent of the population has some sort of reaction when exposed to this category of mold.
This particular mold poses a greater risk to people than the allergenic mold. Generally, a person in good health will be able to resist the attack of a pathogen. However, those who are immune-compromised or have a weakened immune system may be at risk when exposed to pathogenic molds. They are known for causing diseases and infections in certain instances.
Regardless of the general health of an individual, toxic molds are harmful to anyone who is exposed. Mycotoxins are poisonous chemicals formed by toxic mold, which are some of the deadliest chemicals on the Earth. The potential side effects range from temporary irritation to long-term illnesses.
There are common types of toxic molds that everyone should be aware of.
- Stachybotrys, also known as black mold, is often found inside homes. It is very harmful to living things, as well as the house itself. This particular mold produces dangerous mycotoxins, typically forming under ceilings and behind walls. The effect of this alarming mold is its impact on the lungs, causing them to bleed. Humans are not the only victim; Animals can experience consequences from inhaling Stachybotrys.
- Memnoniella is very similar to Stachybotrys with its effects on the body and the way it presents itself. The only difference is the mold’s spore release mechanism. One can see that Memnoniella is released in chains rather than clumps when viewed under a microscope.
- Aspergillus presents itself as gray or green flecks on wooden surfaces. The issues this mold causes include asthmatic reactions, lung infections, and sometimes hay fever. Like the other molds previously mentioned, Aspergillus also produces deadly chemicals, mycotoxins.
- Penicillium may or may not be harmful depending on the species. A type of Penicillium that is harmless to most is used in medicine and cheese. However, it can cause an allergic reaction in others.
- Alternaria includes many species, which may cause hay fever and asthma when inhaled. It is one of the most prevalent toxic molds there are.
- Geotrichum appears powdery and white. It may provoke tuberculosis or a pulmonary infection in someone exposed to it. Other times, it acts as an allergen, creating fatigue, itchy eyes, and chronic headaches to some. Geotrichum can spread quickly and can travel through the air, making it that much more dangerous.
- Trichoderma, a unique-looking mold thrives in moist areas. Here, it presents itself as white in color with green patches. Some of its species have been linked to liver and pulmonary infections, while the majority are most harmful to your home.
These are just a few of the dangerous molds that you may come upon. Molds come in different colors and may illicit different allergic reactions.
Mold can form from a variety of things. Water damage may occur as a result of a flood or a leak in the home’s plumbing system. Some homeowners may be unfortunate enough to experience water damage from a natural disaster. Occasionally, mold will form from excessive moisture or humidity. Get professional help in these situations.
It is important to inspect your home or business regularly for the presence of mold. Although some species of mold are easy to identify and eliminate, others require the help of a professional. If you notice mold in your home, contact OneRestore immediately to avoid harm to your home or your health. We will come to you, appraise your situation, offer a mold inspection, and provide an estimate for the restoration of your property.
The post What Kinds of Mold are Dangerous? appeared first on OneRestore.
Source: New feed