A home can get water damage from a variety of sources. It is important to address any signs of water damage as soon as possible to prevent further damage and potential health hazards. As a homeowner, regular maintenance and inspections should be implemented to prevent water damage from occurring. However, some disasters are out of our control. Your home or business place may suffer from water damage in the following ways:
- Natural disasters: Disasters such as floods, hurricanes, and heavy rainstorms pose a danger of water damage to your home or business.
- Plumbing issues: In the instance that your home has a leaking, blocked, or burst pipe, it can cause water damage.
- Roof leaking: A leaky roof allows water to enter a home and in turn causes water damage.
- Appliance Malfunctions: Dishwashers, washing machines, and refrigerators can malfunction and cause water damage If they leak or overflow.
- Poor Drainage: If your home is not equipped with the proper drainage system, it can cause water to accumulate and seep into the base or foundation of the home. Over time, this can cause greater problems and water damage to the home.
- Clogged Gutters: If your home’s gutters are clogged, water can back up and overflow, leading to water damage in the roof or siding of the home.
- Condensation: It is important to keep the humidity levels of your home and business place low. High humidity and temperatures foster an environment for condensation to form on the walls, ceilings, and windows. This can lead to water damage and mold growth over time.
Water damage can be a serious issue in your home or business place. It is critical to take the necessary steps to avoid further damage. Below is a list of the recommended dos and don’ts to keep in mind after enduring water damage.
- Don’t use any electrical appliances or equipment in wet areas. This can be extremely dangerous and should be avoided until after the area has been thoroughly inspected and deemed safe.
- Don’t enter any rooms or areas that have standing water and electricity or gas running.
- Don’t touch areas that are contaminated with mold without applying the proper gear.
- Don’t attempt to remove water-damaged items on your own. It is best to request professional assistance.
- Don’t use a household vacuum to remove water. This can not only damage your vacuum but can also be dangerous.
- Don’t ignore water damage. Even if your situation seems minor, it is best to treat the issue as soon as possible. Water damage may start as small but end up creating further damage and potential health issues to those exposed over time.
- Turn the electricity and gas off in your home or business. This can prevent further damage or potentially fatal accidents from occurring.
- Remove standing water with a wet/dry vacuum or pump or with the help of a professional.
- Open the home’s windows and doors to assist with ventilation and drying.
- Contact a professional water restoration company to evaluate the damage, provide you with an estimate, and begin the clean-up process.
- With the help of a professional, remove water-damaged items, such as furniture, carpeting, and personal belongings from the affected area.
- Utilize dehumidifiers and fans to dry the areas as soon and as quickly as possible.
- Ensure to apply the proper protective gear when dealing with areas affected by mold. Gloves and a mask are especially important, but additional gear may be required depending on the extent of the mold.
Water damage can be a serious problem and should be taken care of at the first sight of damage. It is advised to seek professional help in these situations to ensure that the job has been done effectively. If the proper steps are not taken, a home or business owner may find themselves with greater problems down the road.
If you or someone you know has suffered from water damage, seek assistance from our experts at OneRestore. We are a one-stop shop that can provide our clients with all the services they need for their water restoration. Our company can provide you with an evaluation and estimate free of charge. We are with you from every step of the way from clean-up to reconstruction and remodeling.
OneRestore’s water restoration services include:
- Inspection and Assessment
- Water Removal
- Drying and Dehumidifying
- Cleaning and Sanitizing
- Complete Restoration